Immigration Law Services To Keep Families Together

Current immigration law allows U.S. citizens and residents to help spouses, children, parents and other family members come to the country. A U.S. citizen or resident has the legal right to file a family-based petition for certain family members on their behalf for an immigrant visa (green card).

At the Law Office of Valdez & Monárrez, we help families through this process. We can help you petition for family members and stand by your side to assure nothing goes wrong.

What Family Members Can I Sponsor?

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can petition immigrant visas for your:

  • Spouse
  • Children under age 21
  • Children over age 21 and their spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years of age)
  • Parents (as long as you are 21 or older)
  • Siblings and their spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years of age)

If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you can petition for your:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children and unmarried sons/daughters over the age of 21

How Do I Petition For A Family Member?

A U.S. citizen or resident family member can petition for the above-mentioned family members by filing Immigration Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Each family member mentioned above belongs to a different kind of preference category. Depending on the category the family member belongs to, he or she may have to wait until a visa becomes available.

For example, a spouse of a U.S. citizen is considered an immediate relative and will have a visa available immediately, meaning he or she can apply for residency immediately upon approval of Form I-130. However, a spouse of a U.S. resident is under the F2A category, which means he or she would have to wait for a visa to become available to obtain residency.

Once Form I-130 is approved, the family member can obtain residency, either by adjustment of status or consular processing. Adjustment of status is a process by which an alien relative adjusts his or her status to that of a U.S. resident. Consular processing is the process by which an alien relative obtains U.S. residency status through an American consulate in his or her home country.

Discuss Your Next Steps With An Attorney

If you wish to learn more about obtaining U.S. resident status for you or your family members, please call us at 956-278-0888 to schedule your free consultation with a family and immigration lawyer. You may also contact us by email. Our main office is in McAllen, Texas, and we have offices in Brownsville and Houston.

Se Habla Español.